There has been a lot of hype about coconut oil lately, and there are so many claims arising sounding nothing short of a miracle. Well actually it is not a cure-all, and what works for others may not work for you, but it is still good to have around. With a little ingenuity and a dash of creativity, you can find more than a hundred daily uses for coconut oil.
want this list in a PDF file? get it free download of the book Roots daily.
1. Hydrate the skin : the first thing on this list, even before delving into the “edible” benefits of coconut oil has to be hydration. Instead of your regular lotion, coconut oil provides a refreshing, healing, burst of moisture that penetrates the skin and works to truly heal (not only to soak and dry!) You can feel oily at first but that is why it is important to use only a little-that goes a long way. Give it a minute and dry well. Use as you would with a regular lotion.
2. Conditioner : When teeny tiny overlapping plates that make up our outer hair and wrinkled get out of control, coconut oil is there to soften those little small cell back in instead, and keep them there. It can be used in the whole / head deep conditioning scalp, but usually you can just use it at their ends, which is the most difficult for the natural body oils to reach, and where it occurs most break .
3. Make homemade soap : If you are interested in making soap, coconut oil serves as pure base wonderful that can simplify the ingredients, add hardness to soap, and help break down fats and oils. It can be broken down effectively, in fact, the excess will have a drying effect (when in form of soap.) To avoid this, it is necessary “superfat” the soap, i.e., adding more oil lye it becomes soap. All you need is coconut oil, water and lye. Do not be shy bleach. Although it must be handled with care, I think it is essential for the manufacture of soap, and a host of other chemicals that you would have to add to recreate their effects are eliminated.
4. Weight Loss Coconut oil and weight loss, what is really going on? Well, if you sit around eating coconut oil, you will not lose weight. However, if used to replace other fats, it can help you drop the pounds taking the place of other calories. Unlike more saturated fats, it consists mainly of medium chain fatty acids, compared to long chain fatty acids. This difference in molecular structure means that it is not stored as fat so easily and instead is sent directly to the liver to be metabolized, giving you increased energy. This energy in turn makes it easier to exercise, and exercise in turn helps you lose weight. Another important factor is played as an appetite suppressant. I crave something that should not be? Have a tablespoon or two of coconut oil, and that the feeling will not last long!
5. Strengthening energy : If weight loss is your goal, just run with the fact (no pun intended) that gives a large increase in energy and You do not need a little help in that department from time to time? Some people also feel that helps increase your mental alertness.
6. itchy dogs : My puppy has atopic dermatitis, also known as allergies worst in the world. sets eyes, ears filled with goopy scratching scabs on them too much, and literally scratching untreated raw and bloody. In addition to your usual daily care, coconut oil sets. From the inside out, coconut oil can help nourish dry, irritated or inflamed skin that is the result of inadequate response to various allergens. Do not cure your allergies, but some people say it has escaped your dog allergies completely, but it does help reduce itching. If your puppy chews its paws and dyed them red / pink / brown color that can help in that department as well, since it is also a sign of allergies. Start with ½ teaspoon a day and work your way up to 1 tablespoon for 40 pound dogs, and 1-2 teaspoons for dogs that weigh less. Usually they go crazy for it!
7. Fungal infections : The medium chain fatty acids found in abundance in coconut oil are incredibly effective natural fungicides. In a shell (Coco) nut, it is natural that are inserted into the fungal membrane, which is crucial for sustaining life of the fungus. This destruction of the membrane leads to the destruction of the fungus as a whole and go! The fungus is eradicated. It is important to be diligent application of coconut oil until symptoms have disappeared.
8. Cold sores : Cold sores are caused by herpes simplex virus, usually type 1, and as such can not be cured. If Harken back to science class, it will be recalled that the bacteria can be eliminated, while a virus can not. So how coconut oil can possibly help? That does not eliminate the virus, but can inhibit assembly and how it spreads. Coconut oil contains a substance known as lauric acid. When combined with glycerol, a substance known as monolaurin is created. Studies to date have shown that monolaurin affect the lipid envelope of the virus and prevents the virus from how you would normally be played. In turn, it is not able to spread as efficiently and does not tend to last as long. Apply some coconut oil directly to pain several times a day.
9. Coffee Creamer, : Replaced coffee creams higher in calories (such as milk and sugar) moved a little coconut oil in your coffee to give it a sweet touch (but not “too sweet”) and healthy. Be sure to stir it in well! If you notice that float on top, trying to shake a midpoint of your drink, or just add a little less next time. Make sure your Joe is very hot when you add it, otherwise you might get some unwanted coconut oil unmelted appearing.
10. Sana Polish Wood : Most of wood layers of enamel on a slippery surface layer of synthetic chemicals, which makes the wood look all smooth and shiny … for a bit. Coconut oil, on the other hand, plunges into the timber and keeps it “healthy” longer. The appearance is more natural, and it stays that way. It may not seem as dramatic as a polishing store bought, but I think it’s a much more pleasant and efficient to keep the wood looking your best choice.
11. Lower cholesterol and heart disease risk : Cholesterol is a waxy substance found in the cells, which helps to continually build more vital cells. It conducts its way through your bloodstream attached to proteins known as lipoproteins. There are low-density lipoprotein (LDL) and high density lipoproteins (HDL). HDL cholesterol is the “good” wants to lower LDL, but raise HDL. LDL carries cholesterol throughout the body and delivers it to the organs and tissues. The problem is, if you have too much cholesterol, the excess is still circulating. LDL circulates constantly over time will penetrate walls of blood vessels in which the plates and narrowed blood vessels accumulate, sometimes to the point of blocking the flow of blood, causing coronary artery disease. HDL, on the other hand, picks up excess cholesterol and takes it to the liver to break down. Coconut oil, probably due to its high levels of lauric acid, boost HDL. No solid evidence saying that coconut oil only prevent heart disease, but there is no solid evidence that raises HDL, therefore hypothetically lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease. Take ½-1 tablespoon daily.
12. Reduce Risk (or effect) of Alzheimer’s disease Alzheimer’s disease is devastating to all who experience it, either personally or with a friend or family member. No wonder we so desperately seek a cure. The word that coconut oil could “cure” or prevent Alzheimer’s disease began circulating vigorously when a doctor published a book on the power of coconut oil to her husband, who suffered from Alzheimer’s disease, and obtained results positive. Other studies have confirmed that ketones, which are essentially “brain food” provided to maintain the functioning of the brain when the body runs low glucose, can help improve memory, and potentially “reverse” the effects of the disease Alzheimer. This is a topic and a much more complex process, but that’s it in a nutshell really involved. I discovered dosing means 2 teaspoons a day taken with food to help improve cognitive function.
13. Soothe Bites fly: Oh, the sweet relief of coconut oil. When black flies begin to bite, which is the first thing to achieve. I use more my horse come summer to calm the unpleasant bites she received, but do not hesitate to dab a little of myself (or dogs.) Just get a bit in scope and apply it directly to the sting.
14. Oil / butter replacement : There is no better way to get the benefits of coconut oil to replace other less desirable fats with him. When cooking or baking, substitute butter or almost any oil. moisture, freshness and richness to baked goods, and a subtle taste of savory dishes courtesy to lend. The amount to be replaced depends on the recipe you are making. Baking, most people fall in the ratio 1: 1 or 80% coconut oil 20% water when replacing butter. For basic cakes, cookies, brownies and Meeting 1: 1 to be enough. When it comes to more complex flaky pastries that get their swelling when steaming, you can adjust the amount found some. To replace the oil, replacing 1: 1 is a good route.
Lip Balm SPF 15. : The lips are very exposed to the elements, and is not there “scarves lips” or “mouth” mittens to protect them from harsh world. One thing that is mostly overlooked it is sun exposure. You really should apply sunscreen on the lips for complete protection, but the coconut oil also has a mild SPF protection. It can not rival 80 SPF (actually has an SPF of about 4-6), but even that bit can help. Apply some coconut oil just before going outside, and reapply every few hours. I would melt the mine down with only ¼ teaspoon or less of beeswax, as I find it easier to apply, and have more endurance. Full lip balm recipe
16. Body Scrub : One of my personal favorite uses for coconut oil is serving as a basis for bodily or facial scrubs. You can melt down a bit, add a little sugar, let cool, and then used as it is. Or, for a little fun project, melt about a half cup of coconut oil and pour into a muffin tin, soap mold, or anything like that, and stir in 2-4 tablespoons white or brown sugar. You can add more if you want the texture is thicker. I usually let cool slightly before adding the sugar so that not only the grains are dissolved. The pop in the refrigerator and allowed to solidify and cool completely before removing from pan. Slicing a piece when necessary and use it to gently scrub and exfoliate your face / body (moisten the skin with water first.) Rinse, apply moisturizer, and resist the temptation to use it again until later in the week if the risk of drying out the skin does not run.
17. Cleansing : The makeup is on your face. His face is something you would like to protect. So when it comes to remove makeup, do not turn to products purchased in the harshest shop. Go instead to coconut oil, gently and safely removes all traces of makeup (and leaves skin feeling healthy and fresh.) Just scoop some at your disposal (to melt faster than they used) and rub on YOLIZUL in a circular motion, then rinse with water to remove traces of makeup and stroking your face dry. It works well with eye makeup, waterproof or not, too. You can use a mild soap to delete all traces of oil.
18. Massage Oil : The benefits of massage are innumerable, and all that could be used over and over again. Instead of using a heavy lotion, simply use coconut oil. You can add essential oils flavor if you like, but I think that the smell of coconut oil only be heavenly. It also leaves the skin hydrated and soft real skin.
19. The treatment of nails and cuticles : The cuticles get ragged nails broken, chipped, or dull, and not infrequently they need some attention from time to time. While there are a lot of store bought creams specially designed to make them look miraculously ready for a photo shoot, usually they are too expensive and full of strange ingredients. This is where the coconut oil comes in. Rub some on cuticles and over / around the nails to help smooth imperfections and stimulate healthy growth.
Cream diaper 20. : you have a little one with a cracked or irritated vague? Look no further than the pure coconut oil. I prefer that the hodgepodge of ingredients found in store-bought creams-I wonder what I’m putting down there! With its antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral and actions, in addition to its moisturizing and soothing benefits, it makes the “do it yourself” ideal diaper cream. For a little extra soothing power, try to merge with some shea butter and blend the two together after they have solidified some. Apply only as much as needed to affected as you would any other diaper cream area.
21. Nipple Cream : There is nothing more magical than breastfeeding … right ?? Surprising as it is, you simply can not ignore the sore nipples or painful chaffed that often come with it. And if you need cream nipple, sure as heck do not want to be putting something strange in your little one is going to put his mouth wee. After breastfeeding, and a couple of times a day, as needed, gently rub a small amount of coconut oil in and around the nipple. After finishing breastfeeding, be sure to pat the area dry before applying coconut oil.
22. Fight inflammation : Coconut oil appears to have a direct effect on the suppression of natural chemicals responsible for mediating inflammation. The studies that have been done at the point of lauric acid and capric acid as the largest contributors, which are part of the medium-chain fatty acids magnificent this action so far found naturally in coconut oil (capric acid alone is about 10% on their own.)
23. Polish leather : Use a soft, dry cloth to brush excess dirt or dust leather and apply a small amount of coconut oil, rubbing in a circular motion. No need to go overboard here! To polish a healthy glow with a soft cloth.
24. Remove the gum : Why coconut oil remove gum? I do not know, but I do not feel the need to question it. Whether soil in your carpet or your child is panicking because they think they have to cut a large piece of rubbery hair, coconut oil has a strange way to get the stuff out. Chances are sinking and only does it for the entire blob glides along the fiber / hair easily. This is a case where you can feel free to apply generous amounts. Rub thoroughly on gum and let stand for 2-5 minutes (or more, if deemed necessary.) Use a soft, textured rubber to clean away. Follow up with a rinse with a mild soap (or shampoo) to remove excess oil.
25. Shaving Cream : There is nothing more frustrating than making a lot of foam shaving cream in the shower only to have all the melt again as water it arrives. Luckily, the water right wheel oil, which means it has a solid protection that allows your razor to glide easily over the skin. It also leaves soft, hydrated and safe from bumps and painful burns. Apply as you would any other cream before shaving. Here’s our recipe shaving cream without chemicals.
26. How to get rid of soap scum Soap is alkaline, and most oils are acidic. This is part of why the soap works so well against grease and dirt, most of which is attached to us with oil. Apply a thin layer of coconut oil on soap scum and let stand for 10-20 minutes. Wipe with the rough side of a sponge, if the surface permits. For added sparkle, sprinkle coconut oil with a little vinegar after applying to boost acidity.
27. Cast Iron Pans season : Pan “seasoning” a molten iron is the act creating a layer of fat covering the pan, it protects, and also acts as a nonstick surface. Season with coconut oil just as you would any other type of fat. Normally I will apply a generous layer of coconut oil on the inside of the pan and let it sit in an oven 250-350 degrees (Fahrenheit) during an hour or so. Place a cookie sheet under it and let the pot upside down are if you are concerned about the sharing of oil and smoking. Remove the pan, let cool and remove excess oil. Repeat as necessary.
28. Deodorant : The sweat on their own usually does not smell. In fact, most of the sweat does not smell at all, as most of the eccrine sweat glands are our body, which mainly produces water with a little salt and maybe a little uric acid. apocrine sweat glands become active at puberty and produce sweat of our armpits, around the genitals, etc. Apocrine sweat glands have other things in it, such as lipids (fats). When bacteria feed on our skin in these fats, the odor-products. As store-bought deodorant, coconut oil helps reduce the amount of bacteria that cause odor. Mix one tablespoon arrowroot powder 3-4 tablespoons of coconut oil for easy homemade deodorant. Apply as needed; adding beeswax solidifies if you feel some coconut oil is too thin by itself.
29. Bath Oil : Smooths the bathwater, and his skin, with some coconut oil. Enjoy your lovely aroma and gently swish around occasionally to remove it through the water. Naturally it is coated skin, leaving it soft and healthy.
30. Eruption Pacifier : Two things come to mind when I think of the discomfort caused by an eruption of any kind for the itching and painful swelling. Coconut oil, with its anti-inflammatory effects, is an obvious go-to to help the swelling. It will also help take the edge off the terrible itching, stop the vicious circle of scratching and further irritating your skin.
31. Chopping Conditioner : I used to buy these luxury bottle of oil marketed specifically for cutting boards conditioning … never again! Clean cutting board with a damp cloth and then dry. Use a soft cloth to rub some coconut oil cloth and let stand for 10-15 minutes. Polish with a cool cloth. For a little extra kick odor removal, add a few drops of essential oil of lemon (or even just a little squeeze of lemon.)
32. Ir-a carrier oil / Base : lotions, lip balms, mixtures of massage, body creams, sugar scrubs … coconut oil is a great start to the carrier oil / base. Its texture and consistency helps keep whatever you have created together, while helping all its impressive moisturizing and healing benefits.
33. DIY Vapor Rub : Mix peppermint essential oil with coconut oil to massage steam that can be applied under the nose / chest when you are congested. It is a simple, but effective, way to clear congestion and helps you sleep better at night.
34. Prevent lice I do not know why lice would not like coconut oil because it smells good at Dang, but people have found that seems to hold off, and even drive them away. If your child comes home from school with head lice, dip a fine tooth comb in coconut oil and run it through your hair. It can also be used as a precautionary measure, if there is an outbreak.
35. Frizz-Fighter : In the deadly winter dryness, steam or humid days, the hair can be a little wild. If your hair has a mind of its own, put a small * amount of coconut oil on your fingers and run them through your hair to get a handle on frizz. I recommend sticking to the most extreme, if possible, because it can be a bit heavy otherwise.
36. On Toast : An easy way to replace butter. Put some coconut oil on toast for a tasty (and filling) snack.
37. Popcorn Topping : Melt some coconut oil and spray it on your popcorn. Add a touch of salt, mix until each piece if coated, and enjoy a snack magnificent show time.
38. Wound Care : The antibacterial and antifungal properties make coconut oil ideal for scratches and minor scratches balm. Mix a little with a little honey (also antibacterial) and apply a small amount on the area, or simply use alone. Do not slather on a great big huge cut, but for small things is a great thing to have in your all-natural first aid kit.
39. Small Lubricant engine: Use a small amount of melted coconut oil to lubricate small motors, and mixers. A little goes a long way. Too much and it can have the opposite effect to run smoothly when it solidifies.
40. Reduce hairballs : Strong anecdotal evidence supports the use of coconut oil to reduce hairballs. There are also those that medium chain triglycerides are not the way to go with our feline friends, so do some research to decide what is comfortable feel. Rub some on your cat’s paws to help improve digestive function and reduce hairballs.
41. Aromatherapy Add your favorite essential oil blend for some coconut oil to dab at his temples and the back of your neck when you feel stressed or sickness. Mint and eucalyptus for headaches and tension, or lemon / lime / orange for nausea, are good places to start.
42. Summer Day Dog Treats : Also known as “buckets coconut” these cold treats will help keep your dog cool the glorious warm weather comes. Mix some peanut butter with coconut oil and freeze in an ice cube tray for food as a special treat to their young on hot summer days. Feed them outdoors or in a flat floor to prevent dirty your carpet!
43. The dry nostrils : dry nostrils feel they need to be picked up. Collected in the nasal passages become nostrils pain and irritation. It’s a vicious circle. Rub a little coconut oil on the inside of each nostril to hydrate. Use only a little. Because coconut oil melts quickly at body temperature, too much can make you look (or feel) like you have a runny nose!
44. Relief from constipation : Take one tablespoon of coconut oil every morning on an empty stomach to keep your digestive system running smoothly. You can try 2 tablespoons solve the acute constipation too.
45. Fade Age / Sun Spots : Coconut oil can help cure or lessen the appearance of a wide variety of skin blemishes, and people have found that daily application of the same helped sun or age spots cast. Rub coconut oil in sunspots every day to help fade them.
46. Bag-Be-Gone : Put the beauty back into the dream of beauty and use coconut oil to help get rid of those dark circles that give so exhausted look . Every night rub some coconut oil under eyes to reduce puffiness and dark circles in the morning.
47. Soften dry elbows : The elbows are one of the most difficult places to keep smooth. Rub coconut oil on them in the morning and evening to help them stay flexible. I do not suggest doing this if you’re taking a big test and plan on setting his elbows on the desk. The horror if slid out and ended up hitting himself against the table in the center of a quiet room dead.
48. Insect Repellent : I can not imagine why insects find repulsive coconut oil, but then also find some of the things they do rather distasteful to me same. For some reason, some people find that slathering on coconut oil can help keep insects at bay. You can also try to melt the oil and stir in some essential oils (such as mint or citrus) and then make a bar insect repellent type that can be reapplied.
49. Bee sting Pacifier : As a beekeeper, bee stings are a reality that I face quite often. While bees are actually quite gentle creatures, some bites are simply inevitable at times. pozo.
Photo & Article Credit : http://everydayroots.com/coconut-oil-uses