Blood pressure and cholesterol control in older people need improvements to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease ;
A new study revealed that older people need to improve their blood pressure and cholesterol levels in order to reduce their risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD). prevention of cardiovascular disease among the elderly is often difficult, as they are underrepresented in clinical trials, and many doctors believe it is too late to start intervention. A clinical review suggests that the best treatments for older people to reduce their risk of cardiovascular disease is properly manage blood pressure and cholesterol.
The lead author Michelle M. Graham said, “primary prevention trials in younger populations show small absolute reductions over many years, it is difficult to extrapolate risk older patients. Some assume older individuals can not have life expectancy to benefit from preventive cardiovascular therapy. However, their baseline level of risk, and the subsequent reduction in relative risk with appropriate therapy, may actually be higher than in patients . younger “
the new review found the following tests:
- statin therapy reduces the risk of both heart attack and stroke – close monitoring is important in reducing the risk of adverse
- Potential drug interactions are an important consideration when prescribing statin therapy in elderly patients because they have a high burden of concurrent medical conditions and often taking multiple medications .
- controlling blood pressure is important for prevention of cardiovascular events and mortality in elderly patients, although the aim should be individualized for the patient.
- Antiplatelet therapy should not be recommended due to lack of net clinical benefit.
- Quit smoking, increase physical activity and maintaining a healthy body weight can help reduce cardiovascular disease as well.
Dr. Graham concluded, “The primary prevention of cardiovascular disease can improve health and reduce future health care costs. The prevention of a first cardiovascular event in elderly patients should be individualized consideration based on current evidence, and the goals of therapy, functionality and / or fragility, comorbidities, and concomitant medications. ”
Also, read the article Bel Marra Health Attention relate to improving levels of blood sugar, cardiovascular health .
The post Blood pressure and cholesterol control in older people need improvements to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease , appeared first on belmarrahealth here: Here