. Note: Click to see a specialist for diagnosis and treatment of this right
Epilepsy is a neurological disorder that causes seizures or repeated attacks. convulsive episodes can last for very short periods to long periods of time. Seizures occur because of bursts of electrical activity in the brain that are not normal. Experts still do not know what causes epilepsy.
The main symptom of epilepsy is repeated seizures that occur without warning. This can lead to seizures and problems with muscle control, movement, speech, vision or consciousness. Sometimes a person too mild or may lose consciousness.
Often the onset of epilepsy occurs during early childhood or after age 60, but can occur at any age. Certain factors increase the risk of epilepsy, including family history, head injury, stroke and other vascular diseases, brain tumors, dementia, brain infections, lead poisoning, impaired prenatal brain development and Alzheimer’s disease.
Seizures can be scary, but do not cause mental illness or intellectual disability. In addition, not everyone who has seizures has epilepsy . Usually, it takes at least two or more seizures in 24 hours for a diagnosis of epilepsy.
Fortunately, you can control and reduce seizures with medication, lifestyle changes and herbal remedies.
Here are the top 10 ways to cope with epilepsy. These remedies, however, are not a substitute for medicines prescribed by your doctor.
1. Coconut oil
Coconut oil is highly effective in the treatment of epilepsy. Fatty acids (medium chain triglycerides) in coconut oil have therapeutic effects on brain cells. Moreover, they provide energy for brain cells, which helps to relieve the symptoms of epilepsy.
- Have 1 teaspoon extra virgin coconut oil 3 times a day. You can gradually increase the amount to a few tablespoons a day.
- In addition, the use of coconut oil for cooking, salad dressings and spreads.
2. Epsom salt
Studies show that Epsom salt is also effective in reducing seizures in people with epilepsy. Magnesium sulfate in Epsom salt changes the physical and chemical relationships cells in the brain, which in turn reduces the frequency of attacks and seizures.
- Crush Epsom salt pure grade in a very fine powder. Add ½ teaspoon of powder to a glass of orange juice or water and drink every morning.
- You can also enjoy relaxing and soothing Epsom salt baths 2 or 3 times a week.
A popular Ayurvedic remedy for epilepsy is limes. Limas help improve blood circulation to the brain. On the other hand, they help normalize excess calcium that can hinder brain function.
- Mix 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice and ½ teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water. Drink every day before going to bed.
- You can also apply fresh lemon juice on the head and back massage for a few minutes. Do this every day before taking a shower.
Garlic is also useful in the treatment of epilepsy. Its antioxidant, antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory action help destroy harmful free radicals in the body and promote the smooth functioning of the nervous system. This in turn prevents seizures and other symptoms related to epilepsy.
- Mix ½ cup each of milk and water. Boil. Add 4-5 cloves of crushed garlic and boil until mixture is reduced by half. Strain and drink once a day.
- Another option is to take garlic supplements daily. Consult your doctor for the correct dose.
Passionflower herb also helps reduce attacks. It contains a chemical known as chrysin, which helps to increase the amount of gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA) in the brain. This in turn reduces the frequency of seizures and anxiety.
- Drinking 1-2 cups of herbal tea prepared with passion flower. Steep 1 teaspoon dried passionflower in a cup of boiling water for 10 minutes, then strain.
- passionflower is also available in capsule, tablet, liquid extract and tincture forms. Always take this herb under the guidance of a physician
. Note: Avoid passionflower if you are pregnant or breast-feeding. In addition, consult your doctor before taking this herb as it can increase the effects of anticonvulsant drugs.
6. Winter Melon
According to Ayurveda, winter melon, also known as ash gourd is an effective home remedy for epilepsy due to its nutritional and medicinal properties. This vegetable helps maintain a healthy nervous system and ensures the smooth functioning of brain cells.
- drink ½ cup juice winter melon morning on an empty stomach. To improve the taste, you can add a little sugar.
- Another option is to extract juice from a bowl of winter melon crushed. Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of powdered licorice to it and mix well. Drink this solution once a day.
Source / reference : http://tracking.feedpress.it/link/6848/510553