post-nasal drip (PND) is a common problem that occurs due to excessive mucus production by the nasal mucosa. It is a very irritating and uncomfortable trying situation and can affect people of any age.
glands in the lining of the nose, throat and airways produce mucus continuously, a kind of thick, wet substance. It moistens and cleans the nasal membranes, humidifies the air in the airways, traps and clears inhaled foreign particles and fights infection.
Illustration showing postnasal drip
Normally, you will not notice the mucus of the nose while swallowing unconsciously all day. But when produced in excess, mucus begins to drip from the back of the nose, causing post-nasal drip .
Additional symptoms include hoarseness, irritated or sore throat, cough, congestion, difficulty swallowing and a general feeling of weakness.
post-nasal drip can be triggered by a variety of causes, such as flu, allergies, common cold, sinus infection , cold temperature, excessively dry air, spicy foods, certain medications , hormonal changes in the body and fumes from chemicals, perfumes, smoke or other irritants cleaning.
Although there are various causes of excess mucus production, can treat many cases of the disease at home using simple and readily available ingredients. However, if the problem persists for more than a week, consult a doctor.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for post-nasal drip.
1. Gargle with salt water
Gargling with salt water is one of the best home remedies to relieve the discomfort of post-nasal drip. This helps thin mucus, making it easier for you to get rid of. It also eliminates the irritating nasal passages.
- Add ½ teaspoon salt in 1 cup of warm water.
- stir well until the salt dissolves.
- Gargle with this solution twice a day for 2-3 days.
2. Steam Inhalation
Using steam treatments with or without essential oils to control excess production of mucus that causes post-nasal drip.
- Making a bowl of boiling water.
- Optionally, a few drops of any essential oil are added.
- drape a towel over your head and hold your face over hot water.
- Deeply inhale the steam for about 10 minutes then blow your nose.
- Do this 2 or 3 times a day until he recovers completely.
you can even take hot showers to help break up the mucus water.
. Note: Steam inhalation is not recommended for very young children
3. Nasal irrigation
nasal irrigation also helps clear excess mucus. It even helps keep your nasal passages free of irritants and prevent further infection.
- Add ¼ teaspoon salt and a pinch of baking soda in 1 cup of hot distilled water.
- Complete a neti pot with this solution.
- While standing over a sink, tilt your head to one side and pour the solution in one of his nostrils.
- Move your head back, forward and side to side to help achieve their nasal cavities solution.
- blow nose to remove excess mucus and solution.
- Repeat with the other nostril.
- Do this once a day for a few days and then a couple of times a week.
Garlic is a potent herb with potent antibiotic properties. Which helps control excess mucus production and prevents infection. Even fast recovery is promoted.
- Chop 3-4 cloves of garlic and roast them in clarified butter 1 teaspoon for 1 minute. Eat with hot milk twice daily for a few days.
- Another option is to chew a small piece of raw garlic several times a day.
- You can even take garlic supplements after consulting your. doctor
Ginger is a natural decongestant and has antiviral, antibacterial and expectorant properties. It helps reduce excess mucus production and helps his expulsion. It also helps relieve chest congestion, hoarseness and sore throat, common symptoms of post-nasal drip.
- Drinking ginger tea 2 or 3 times a day. To make the tea, put 1 tablespoon sliced ginger in 1-2 cups of water and simmer for 10 minutes. Strain, add some raw honey and drink.
- can also chew slices of ginger oil several times a day and add ginger to your kitchen.
cayenne acts as an antihistamine and helps treat post-nasal drip. The capsaicin in cayenne helps thin mucus for easy removal. Even it helps soothe a sore throat.
- Mix ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper and honey and have 2 or 3 times a day for several days.
- Alternatively, add ½ to 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper to a cup of warm water and drink slowly. Repeat this exercise several times a day.
- Include cayenne pepper in your kitchen as well.
Source / reference : http://tracking.feedpress.it/link/6848/1649787